Zomato (http://www.zomato.com/toronto) has launched in Canada and I want to tell you more about the new restaurant search and discovery service!
As a member of Urbanspoon and Yelp, I see benefits and improvement areas for each site on the perspective of the reviewer, as well as the person reading reviews. I can’t comment at this time which restaurant search site is the best, but I can tell you some information and features that will make Zomato the next big thing in Toronto and Canada:
- Zomato was founded in 2008 by Deepinder Goyal and Pankaj Chaddah. The company is present in over 100 cities across Canada, the UK, Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, UAE, South Africa, New Zealand, the Philippines, Portugal, Brazil, Chile, Turkey, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, and Qatar, and India.
- Zomato has in-depth information for over 270,000 restaurants across 17 countries including menus (one of my favourite features), photos, and geocoded coordinates for restaurants.
- Aside from being able to rate and review restaurants, users can create their own network of foodies.
- Zomato currently serves over 30 million monthly visitors globally, who use the website and mobile apps to search for places to go out for a meal, get home delivery, catch up at a cafe, or enjoy the local nightlife.
- A highly targeted platform makes it convenient for restaurateurs to interact effectively with customers searching for dining options.
- Zomato covers over 11,000 restaurants in the Greater Toronto Area and is available on web and mobile.
- Zomato’s award-winning mobile app allows users to discover restaurants around them based on their physical location, in addition to providing information for all restaurants in the city.
- Zomato announced, last year, a US $37 million round of funding from Sequoia Capital and existing investors Info Edge. This has taken Zomato’s total funding to over USD 53 million. In Canada, Zomato has earmarked $10 million to expansion in Canada.
* Source of stats from Zomato.
You will hear more about Zomato and I encourage you to use their mobile app and join the foodie network! I will announce my profile as I get more acquainted with the site.
Follow them on Twitter @zomato for news updates.
Latest posts by Mary Tang (see all)
- Get your tickets for St. Lawrence Market Summer Series-Season 2 - July 13, 2017
- [Product Review] Good & Simple Muffins and Bars launches in Ontario - July 12, 2017
- [Recipe]Lotus root, broccoli and bok choy stir fry - July 4, 2017