Address: St. Lawrence Market South – Toronto 125 The Esplanade, Tor., ON
Event date: Feb. 23rd, 2017 from 6:30 to 9:30 pm
Food Share’s 8th annual signature event, Recipe for Change, was a gastronomical event to remember! Find out in my post, the amazing line up of Chefs and beverage vendors at the event, as well as what my top 15 dishes were…yes, get ready for lots of food porn!
Food Share (http://foodshare.net/) works with communities and schools to deliver healthy food and food education. Food share does a lot for the community and knows how to organize a party! Recipe for Change includes 3 hours of unlimited food and drink under one big tent. Follow @FoodshareTO on Twitter to receive their latest news and try to grab the early bird tickets next year!
Top reasons why this year was my most memorable year yet:
- The organization and the attention to detail was spot on!
- As media, I was able to arrive 30 mins before the event officially opened. This allowed me to take most of my photos before the crowd arrived. My hands were free to enjoy the food and drinks the rest of the evening!
- The lighting was brighter than previous years with several light box stations set up. Brighter lighting means better photos to share with all of you! If only they can create windows in the tent to bring in natural light.
- Lots of volunteers came around often with round plastic buckets to collect our waste.
- The event was sold out, yet they allowed a good capacity inside the tent. Line ups were minimal and short.
- The give-away bag we each received upon leaving had useful products including the Sapsucker maple tree filtered water, healthy food samples, cookies and Foodshare information.
- The Food. I loved the variety this year! I even went back for thirds at selective stations…oysters being one of them.
- There was an an amazing line up of Chefs!
30 Chefs and Beverage Vendors at Recipe For Change 2017:
- Ricky Casipe Hawthorne Food and Drink
- Therese Degrace The Good Earth Food and Wine Company
- Paola Solorzano Santo Pecado
- David Lee Planta
- Chateau Des Charmes Bosc Family Wines
- Filipe Faccioli Mata Bar Toronto
- Steffan Howard Palais Royale
- Amreen Omar Bombay Street Food
- Beau’s All Natural Brewing Company
- Leonard Anel & Sybil Pinnock FoodShare
- Rocco Agostino Pizzeria Libretto
- Luis Valenzuela Carmen Cocina Espanola
- Chef Nuit and Jeff Regular Pai Toronto
- Evis Chirowamhangu Mnandi Pies
- Nick Liu DaiLo
- Renee Bellefeuille Frank at the AGO
- Kriston Donovan Hooked
- Bashir Munye My Little Dumplings
- Bertrand Alepee The Tempered Room
- Cynthia Leung & David Castellan SOMA Chocolate
- Southbrook Vineyards Biodynamic Winery
- Dave Mottershall Loka
- Craft Beer Great Lakes Brewery
- Tea and Botanicals Beverage Empower T
- Organic winery Frogpond Vineyard
- Johl Ringuette Nishdish
- Grange of Prince Edward
- Valerie Krompac & Csaba Nagy The Cake Collective
- Melanie Bozzo The Plant YYZ
- Andres Solomon Barsa Taberna
Here were my top 15 dishes of the evening:
1.Dailo– Pumpkin dumplings with a soy brown butter sauce, “White Rabbit Candy” glaze and pepita crumble.
2. Loka- Pan roasted mushrooms, truffled potato and deer lichen.
3. Little Dumplings- Berbere roasted local mushrooms and sunshine slaw on injera crisps.
4. Hawthorne Food & Drink– Duck heart tocilog.
5. Santo Pecado– Pork medallion.
6. Palaise Royale Ballroom- Monforte Dairy goat cheese waffle cone.
7. Hooked-Fresh shucked east and west coast oysters.
8. Pai Northern Thai Kitchen- Spicy grilled pork jowl salad.
9. Bombay Street Food– Mumbai Vada Pav with various chutneys.
10. AGO– Vegetarian poke with sticky soy bean and chia seeds, pickled veggies, miso-yuzu dressing and fried taro.
11. Mnandi Pies– Zimbabwean style mini pie bites with Peri Peri baobab sauce.
12. Providore Catering– Wild mushroom arancini.
13. The Good Earth Food and Wine. Co- Urban Hipster Pho.
14. Soma Chocolatermaker– Pomegranate molasss meltaway, Southbrook Vineyards truffle, and dark chocolate.
15. Holi Cannoli- Fresh filled cannoli.
I did not get to try the chouquettes filled with passion fruit cream from ‘The Tempered Room’, and know it would have been on my list above. They were out of the dessert by the time I came around at the end of the evening. I should have eaten it when I took the picture!
*Disclosure: I had received the tickets complimentary to cover the event. The opinions in the post are my own.