Looking for a quick and mouth-watering appetizer for the holidays? This is it! This Spanish tapas dish takes less than 10 minutes to prepare.
The thinly sliced mojama (pronounced mo-hama); a cured tuna belly is paired with a firm Spanish cheese called Mahone. Both items can be found at the Cheese boutique. Finally, the Persimon® persimmons provides a burst of sweetness and helps balance the saltiness of the tuna. Before serving, Spanish extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar is drizzled on the appetizer. The tuna provides an umami element to the dish. Each bite is divine!
For some background, I participated in a “black box” challenge from Persimon® where I was given ingredients to develop a recipe. The fun part was that I was not aware of the ingredients in advance. Although the ingredients were purchased in Toronto, most of the ingredients originated from Spain including the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. This original recipe that I created is easy, yet the flavours with quality ingredients from Spain will wow all your senses! See my YouTube video of how to make the dish.
My second dish is a Persimon paella bowl, a perfect appetizer that you MUST try! Get the full recipe here.
- 6 slices of Mojama (cured tuna belly)
- 6 slices of Mahon cheese (cows milk)
- 6 slices of Persimon® persimmons + 6 small cubes
- 1 to 2 chives for garnishing
- Drizzle of Balsamic Vinegar and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Lay the pre-sliced Mojama tuna belly on a plate.
- Cut the cheese and persimmons (leaving the skin on) about ¼ inch thick and slightly smaller than the tuna belly.
- Place the cheese on top of the tuna belly followed by the Persimon persimmon.
- Put a toothpick into the 3 layers, then rip small pieces of the chives to pierce through the toothpick, followed by a small cube of the persimmon.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and serve.
- Feel free to change up the thickness and size of each ingredient for your appetizer.
*Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. I was given the ingredients by Persimon® to develop a recipe but the opinions in the post are my own.
Latest posts by Mary Tang (see all)
- The easiest yogurt parfait recipe and why Martin’s Apple Chips makes the perfect snack - November 15, 2017
- Inside the World Vision #Hungerfree Quarterly Subscription Boxes - November 9, 2017
- Win a pair of ELITE passes to the Gourmet Food and Wine Expo 2017 [Contest Closed] - November 7, 2017