I have partnered up with Persimon® in a “black box” challenge to come up with a recipe utilizing Spanish ingredients that were given to me, with Persimon® persimmons as the star.
The fun part was not knowing what I would get in advance and trying new ingredients I haven’t had before such as mojama (cured tuna belly), Mahone Cheese from Spain, and Spanish saffron. I only added a handful of ingredients to my recipes including Spanish paprika, chives, chicken stock, salt and black pepper. I was wowed by all the quality ingredients and thankful for the opportunity to showcase my creativity.
I ended up creating 2 appetizers to best feature the Spanish ingredients with the Persimon® persimmons. My first appetizer was the Persimon with cured tuna belly (recipe here), which is a must try!
Persimon® (pronounced Per-Simon) persimmons is the Rojo Brillante variety of persimmon grown in Ribera del Xúquer near Valencia in Spain. What really makes it stand out is that they are ripe when firm and always ready to eat. The box that they come in may vary by store, so make sure to look for the persimmons with the Persimon® trademark.
The sweet fruit is delicious eaten alone, and also pairs well with sweet or savoury dishes (Persimon chutney recipe here). Aside from the taste, they have double amount of fibre found in a peach, banana or orange (read more facts on the Persimon website).
The Persimon paella bowls is the perfect appetizer and will make your guests salivate from just looking at it.
The roasted Persimon is stuffed with a fragrant paella with Spanish saffron, piquillo peppers, and chorizo salami, and topped with a bright Persimon salsa. Finally, crispy shallots are added to provide texture and adds to the flavour. The edible Persimon bowls are a perfect vessel to hold the toppings. This dish is absolutely stunning to look at and a memorable dish with popping flavours!
Learn how I make the Persimon Paella bowls in a short video. I am confident you will LOVE this!
- 3 Persimon® persimmons - Leave the skin on. Cut in half with the stems removed.
- 1 large shallot-sliced
- ⅓ cup of chives-rough chop
- Canola oil for cooking
- 1 cup of Arroz (Spanish rice)
- ⅓ cup of Piquillo Peppers - small dice
- ⅓ cup of Spanish red wine
- ½ cup of Spanish Chorizo Salami -small dice
- 3 garlic cloves-minced
- ½ teaspoon of Spanish saffron
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon of Spanish paprika
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Persimon® persimmon-Peel the skin. Small dice
- 2 teaspoons of Spanish extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the top and bottom of the persimmon, and then cut them in half. Each half will be used as the bowls. Take a spoon and remove the inside of each persimmon without going all the way through.
- Place the halved persimmons on a baking sheet, and drizzle with canola oil and a pinch of salt. Bake for 20 minutes.
- In a pot, add stock and the saffron. Heat up the stock to be added in the paella. Keep the saffron in for at least 20 minutes to let the saffron infuse in the stock.
- In a pan, saute the garlic, followed by the rice to toast it. Add in the wine. The rice will turn purple as the rice absorbs the wine.
- Once the wine evaporates, add in the piquillo peppers and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add in 3 cups of the stock and let the rice cook. This will take about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the remaining stock after 15 minutes and let the rice cook for another 5 minutes. The rice should be fully cooked at this time. Add in the cooked chorizo salami.
- For the salsa, add all the diced persimmons in one bowl. In a separate bowl, add all the ingredients for the dressing and mix well. Pour over the persimmons and let it sit there for 5 minutes.
- In a small pot with oil, fry the shallots until golden brown.
- Cut the chives.
- To assemble, for each persimmon half, add the paella, top with the salsa, then the crispy shallots and chives.
- Before serving, drizzle with Spanish extra virgin olive oil.
Persimon® persimmons are available for a limited time from November until the end of February in several grocery stores in Ontario and Quebec.
Follow Persimon® on their social media accounts:
*Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. I was given the ingredients by Persimon® to develop a recipe but the opinions in the post are my own.
Never miss a post. Follow me on https://www.facebook.com/Maryshappybelly/