I prefer cooking and baking savoury items such as bread, pizza and meat pies. If it is dessert, it’s got to be quick and easy.
This dessert is easy, pretty, appeals to adults and kids and is perfect for the next potluck. Essentially it is caramel and chocolate on top of graham crackers, topped with nuts or candies of your choice. As it was Easter weekend, I topped it with chocolate eggs.
It also only needs 10 minutes of oven time and there’s no need to melt the chocolate in advance on top of the stove or microwave. Pretty sweet!
My sister had made these the chocolate toffee barks several times, so this was adapted from her recipe.
1. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet. I used a 13 x 18 inch baking tray.
2. Place the graham crackers to fit the tray, breaking them as needed to fit. Preheat the oven at 375 degrees F, and cook the cookies for about 8-10 minutes.
3. While the cookies are in the oven, add 1 cup of brown sugar and 3/4 cup of butter in a pan. Melt the ingredients, stir constantly and make sure the mixture boils.
4. Take the cookies out of the oven and pour the hot caramel mixture all over the cookies and spread the mixture. While the caramel is hot, sprinkle about 1 cup (about 175 grams) of pure semi-sweet chocolate chips on top of the cookies and spread the mixture with a spatula. The chocolate will melt. Add more chocolate chips as needed to cover the entire tray.
5. Next, add the desired toppings. I added malt chocolate and milk chocolate eggs on top.
6. Leave the tray to cool down on the counter and then place the tray in the fridge for the chocolate to set. It took about an hour for the chocolate to set in the fridge.
7. Break the cookies into the desired shape and size and enjoy!
For more delicious updates, follow me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Maryshappybelly/
Latest posts by Mary Tang (see all)
- Get your tickets for St. Lawrence Market Summer Series-Season 2 - July 13, 2017
- [Product Review] Good & Simple Muffins and Bars launches in Ontario - July 12, 2017
- [Recipe]Lotus root, broccoli and bok choy stir fry - July 4, 2017