Steamed tofu is a Chinese dish seen in many households where the tofu is the base while the toppings may vary. My parents normally top the tofu with seasoned ground pork and sweetened soy sauce. My in-laws love to keep the steamed tofu simple with diced green onions and soy sauce.
Tofu is a great canvas in absorbing different sauces and seasoning and begs to be dressed up. You got flavour in this dish with shrimp and scallops and the sesame ginger soy sauce on top.
Seafood taste amazing and plus it cooks really quick! With a bit of prep work, this dish takes less than 10 minutes of cooking time on the stove top making this dish perfect for both weeknights and a fancy dinner with guests.
I have used frozen scallops and black tigers shrimps that I had thawed a few hours before cooking. Make sure to use a paper towel to soak up access water before marinating or cooking them. I apologize that I do not remember the shrimp and scallop size, but buy the ones that are smaller than the size of your tofu.
See? A fancy dish can be easy to make too!
- 5 tiger shrimps -peeled and deveined
- Shrimp marinade: ½ teaspoon of sesame oil and a pinch of salt
- 5 scallops- Cut 1 cm thick
- ¼ cup of diced green onions including the white parts
- 5 square tofus (almost 2 pounds)
- Sauce: ¼ cup of sliced ginger, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, ¼ cup of soy sauce and ¼ teaspoon of sugar
- Water for steaming
- Marinade the shrimp. Add the sesame oil and salt to the shrimp and mix well. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Cut the scallops and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Dice the green onions and set aside.
- Place the tofu on a plate. Add the shrimp and scallop on top of the tofu. It doesn't matter if the scallop or the shrimp goes first.
- Prepare the tofu for steaming. I used a wok with water and placed a trivet on top. Once the water boils, place the dish with the seafood topped tofu in the wok and close the lid. Feel free to use a pot. Steam for 6 minutes on high or until the shrimp turns pink. Remove from heat.
- As there will be lots of water from the tofu at the base of the dish, the water needs to be drained. Transfer the tofu into a new dish, or carefully drain the liquid using the same dish.
- In a separate pot, turn the heat on medium-high and add sesame oil, followed by the ginger. Cook for about 1 minute. The ginger should be cooked through but not deep fried. Adjust the heat as needed. Add the soy sauce and sugar. Mix well and turn off the heat.
- Pour the sauce on top of the tofu. Sprinkle with green onions and serve immediately.
Latest posts by Mary Tang (see all)
- [Recipe] Chinese pork bone soup with lotus root - August 15, 2017
- [Recipe] Chinese steamed tofu with shrimp and scallops - August 11, 2017
- [Event] The Big Feastival Comes to Canada on August 18-20th, 2017! - August 4, 2017