This oven method of poaching fish is easy and quick (only 10 minutes in the oven), enough time for prepare the topping or to grab yourself a glass of wine. I picked up some Icelandic cod from a wonderful fish market on Roncesvalles Ave. in Toronto called De La Mer . You can use Pacific or Atlantic cod, or another meaty fish for this recipe like halibut.
The topping does not need to be cooked and surprisingly isn’t overpowering with the horseradish, and gives the dish a real kick. I served the dish with rice and stir fried vegetables.
- 1.5 pounds of cod, cut into even pieces (about 2 by 3 inches)
- 1 cup of salted butter
- Handful of dill
- Sea salt (optional)
- ⅓ cup of lemon juice
- Topping: 1 cup of peeled and grated carrot, 1 tsp of prepared horseradish and 1 tsp of dill
- In a pan or the microwave, melt the butter.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the fish in an oven safe dish and pour the butter, lemon juice, and the dill.
- Put the fish in the oven and cook for 10 minutes. The fish should be just cooked.
- In a bowl, add the grated carrot, horseradish and dill and mix well.
- Remove the fish from the oven, remove from the butter and plate.
- Top each fish with a small pinch of sea salt and the carrot topping.
- As the fish was cooked in salted butter, you may feel that the salt is not needed on each fish.
Never miss a post, follow me on https://www.facebook.com/Maryshappybelly/
Latest posts by Mary Tang (see all)
- Get your tickets for St. Lawrence Market Summer Series-Season 2 - July 13, 2017
- [Product Review] Good & Simple Muffins and Bars launches in Ontario - July 12, 2017
- [Recipe]Lotus root, broccoli and bok choy stir fry - July 4, 2017