For the past 3 years, I was lucky to be in Chicago with my colleagues (a group of medical device experts) to work at the Radiology Society of North America conference (RSNA®), which is the largest annual medical conference in the world. The conference happens each year after the American Thanksgiving, so the city is just bustling with international tourists.
Aside from working at our booth, I got to discover the diverse and amazing culinary offerings in the city. And of course, I also sneak in some Black Friday shopping!
I did not have a chance to attend the conference in Chicago this year, so this post is a tribute to the great times we had in the awesome city. I am looking forward to visiting again soon.
Below are my top picks for best restaurants in Chicago in 2013.
I have tried many items on each one of the menus and narrowed down the best picks.
1. Gibson’s Steak House: $$$$, Rating: 5. W.R’s 22 oz Chicago cut steak, and any of the pies/cake to share with the table. It has a classic steak house vibe.
2. David Burke Prime House, $$$$, Rating: 5, The classic table side Caesar salad, 55 or 75 day rib eye, and the seared ahi tuna.
3. Smoke Daddy (BBQ joint): $$, Rating: 4, SmokeDaddy rib sampler, pulled pork/chicken, and corn bread.
4. Carmine’s/Rosebud-Both menus are very similar. $$$, Rating: 3.5. Recommend the Caprese salad, veal saltimbocca, and cavatelli arrabiata (pasta with a spicy marinara sauce).
5. Carnivale $$$, Rating: 3.5, Ropa vieja (plantains and braised beef), seafood paella, and any of their speciality drinks.
6. Del Soeul (Korean taco joint): $, Rating: 3.5, Sambal fish Korean BBQ tacos, and Korean bulgolgi “banh mi” sandwiches.
8. Billy Goat’s Tavern (Original location) $, Rating: 3, Double Cheeseburger (aka Cheezeborger). Other notes: They don’t have the best burgers you have ever eaten, but you are entering into a place of history. Check out the skit that made SNL famous and made the cheezeborger famous. http://www.billygoattavern.com
9. Gino’s East $$, Rating: 4, Try any of their deep dish pizza’s. Ask your server for a marker to sign your name on their walls before you leave.
10. Wildberry Pancakes and Café (near Millennium Park location): $, Rating: 4 (Based on their breakfast). The W.B signature “Berry Bliss” pancakes and bliss berry crepes. This place has the best pancakes I have ever eaten!
Recommendations from a lawyer named Kevin from Chicago that I met on the plane. Thank you!
- Chicago Q (BBQ)
- Boka (French and Japanese Fusion)
- Publican (Beer focused restaurant)
- Topolobampo (Mexican)
Having tried many other joints including the Original Pancake House, the Cheesecake Factory at the Hancock Centre, and the Corner Bakery Café, I am confident that you will enjoy the joints I have chosen. I am looking forward to expand and share my list on my next visit.
Latest posts by Mary Tang (see all)
- Interview with Chef Nuit Regular- Toronto’s Queen of Thai Food - February 21, 2018
- Interview with Chef Vanessa Yeung of Aphrodite Cooks - February 20, 2018
- [Review] Italian Cooking Class by Vine and Vintage - February 5, 2018