Calling all coffee lovers! Have you heard of Melitta’s “One Cup Pour Over Brewer”? I had an opportunity to test out their coffee and brewing system at home, and was pleasantly surprised how easy the system was. There were only 3 simple steps to make a good cup of coffee.
First off, some fun facts about Melitta:
- Headquartered in Toronto, Ontario, Melitta Canada is part of Melitta North America. The brand entered Canada in the 1960 and was the 1st European brand in Canada. However, the history of Melitta goes back over 100 years.
- The coffee industry didn’t even know what a coffee filter was until it was invented by Melitta in invented it in 1908, which had revolutionizing the way coffee was brewed.
- The cone-pour over system was invented by Melitta Bentz. The original pour over-brewers were created with eight holes at the bottom which has led to the single hole coffee drip system.
Read more about Melitta’s history and products on their website https://www.melitta.ca/
My samples I had received included Melitta’s ‘European Deluxe Roast ‘ground coffee, coffee filters (flavour enhancing and regular), the ‘One Cup Porcelain Brewing Cone’, and the plastic ‘Brewing Cone Pour-Over Filter Cone’.
Steps to make a cup of coffee using the “One Cup Pour Over Brewer”:
Step 1. Place the Melitta brewing cone on a mug. Each cone had one small hole at the bottom where the coffee would drip through.
Step 2. Insert a Melitta coffee filter, and scoop in the ground coffee. I added 2 teaspoons of Melitta’s European Deluxe Roast ground coffee.
Step 3. Pour hot water through the cone. That was it! Remove the cone and enjoy the hot cup of coffee.
The coffee system could not be any easier! The coffee dripped out into the cup immediately; way faster than I thought it would be.
Both coffee cones were pretty, functional and fit on top of standard mug sizes. Although both the porcelain and PBA-free plastic cone (red one) did the same job, my preference was the plastic cone, as it was light weight. Plus, there was something special about about seeing the coffee drip into my cup. The Melitta filters fits in all coffee makers that use a number 2 size filter cone, which makes it versatile.
As for the coffee, the package recommended 2 teaspoons of ground coffee for each 6 oz cup. Although the coffee was flavourful, I felt the taste was a little light. Next time, I will add 3 teaspoons for the same amount of water for a stronger brew.
Overall, the single cup coffee system is a great option for single servings and an easy and fun way to make a good cup of coffee quickly. The pour over coffee systems can be found at Canadian Tire and Home Hardware stores across Canada.
*Disclosure: The samples were provided complimentary for the review. The opinions in the post are my own.
Latest posts by Mary Tang (see all)
- Interview with Chef Nuit Regular- Toronto’s Queen of Thai Food - February 21, 2018
- Interview with Chef Vanessa Yeung of Aphrodite Cooks - February 20, 2018
- [Review] Italian Cooking Class by Vine and Vintage - February 5, 2018