Address: 3621 Hwy 7 East, Markham ON
When I visited: May 2014, dinner
Rating: $$, 4
Baby info: Has high chairs and a change table
Gal’s Sushi is another family favourite restaurant that serves both Korean and Japanese food at reasonable prices. I am a big uni (sea urchin) fan and know that I can get my fix here. They have an awesome special running right now where you can get 2 uni’s for $5.99.
The place is always buzzin’ and busy, even with reservations. The space has many long tables which are great for families and large parties. Having been to the restaurant since this location opened years ago, I have tried a countless number of dishes. I prefer the Japanese food over the Korean dishes here. Although each table is given a serving of glazed honey potatoes and glass noodles (japchae) on the house, the restaurant only provides a dish of kimchi if you order Korean food. Sometimes, they don’t bring the kimchi unless you ask them.
The Japanese food stands out at the restaurant, it is always beautifully presented and the fish tastes fresh. Their menu is well organized and has tons of pictures which make it easy to navigate through.
My recommendation for the best items to order based on value and taste are:
1. The takoyaki balls– For $4.99, this is a great deal for the delicious Octopus filled balls. At Kenzo Ramen, I recall they were $8 for the dish.
2. The 72 piece “SIL platter” platter ($69.99) which is great for 3 to 4 adults to share and it comes with a variety of speciality sashimi and sushi including hamachi, amaebi (sweet shrimp), spicy scallops and my favourite…uni.
3. The best deal is the bento box which comes with a choice of bulgogi, chicken or salmon teriyaki, or shrimp tempura with a combination of maki rolls, sashimi and or sushi. The box is only $16.99 before tax and the portions are generous.
As for the service, you can expect to flag your server down multiple times during their peak times, even with a bell at most tables to call the server. With the long lineups at times, the hostess are normally quick to get customers seated.
With the extensive menu, you will be sure to find delicious eats at Gal’s Sushi. The Japanese fare is what keeps me going back to the restaurant. The speciality sushi and sashimi consistently tastes fresh and delicious. Happy eating and remember to make reservations! The restaurant also does take out.
Latest posts by Mary Tang (see all)
- [Review] Italian Cooking Class by Vine and Vintage - February 5, 2018
- [VIDEO] Inside the New Assembly Chef’s Hall in Toronto - January 31, 2018
- Easy Instant Pot Chicken Congee Recipe (Jook 粥) - January 21, 2018