The Instant Pot bean salad uses beans and lentils, providing a healthy bite in a tangy dressing.
This recipe was adapted from the Caribbean Central and South American Cookbook by
Feel free to use whatever beans you have handy and canned beans will definitely speed it up. If you do use canned, I would use about 425 g (1 can) of the kidney and chickpeas, as the recipe below is based on dried beans. The onions are placed in icy cold water which takes the “bite” out of the raw onions.
Enjoy the nutritious protein packed salad with a punch!
- 1½ cups of dried kidney beans-soaked
- 1½ cups of dried chickpeas-soaked
- 1 cup of dried green lentils-soaked
- ½ cup of onions-sliced thinly
- 1 cup of red peppers-sliced
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 10 tsps of ketchup
- 3 tsp cumin
- Pinch of salt and pepper (more depending on your taste)
- 3 cloves of garlic-minced
- Green onions and coriander (garnish)
- Slice the vegetables. Place the onions in a bowl of cold water with some ice cubes for about 20 minutes, remove and set aside.
- Using the Instant Pot, cook the kidney beans at 25 minutes at high pressure, turn the knob on "sealing". Turn the pressure cooker off when the timer is up, and do a quick release. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the chickpeas at 20 minutes at high pressure, and the lentils at 9 minutes, both quick release. Drain and set aside.
- Place all the beans in a bowl.
- Add all the ingredients of the dressing and mix well.
- Pour the dressing over the beans and mix. Garnish and serve.
Latest posts by Mary Tang (see all)
- Interview with Chef Nuit Regular- Toronto’s Queen of Thai Food - February 21, 2018
- Interview with Chef Vanessa Yeung of Aphrodite Cooks - February 20, 2018
- [Review] Italian Cooking Class by Vine and Vintage - February 5, 2018