In October 2016, I was invited to an event hosted by World Vision (WV) inside Toronto’s beautiful Berkeley Field House where we learned more about ‘World Food Day’ and World Vision’s ‘Hunger Free’ global movement campaign (read about the 2016 event and the campaign).
One quote that resonated with me from World Vision was “Food is wonderful. It engages all our senses. It brings people together. It sustains us and comforts us. It’s the center of many of our celebrations. Many of us show our love through the food we cook, and feel loved when someone cooks us our favourite meal”. It truly does!
Related to the #Hungerfree campaign, I am excited to share that World Vision has started “Hunger Free Quarterly”, which are quarterly subscription boxes exclusive to Canada. These boxes are created from partners who truly celebrate food with the main goal to help communities become hunger free. The box combines hand crafted products from Kenya made by locals, a booklet with stories and information, as well as recipes. I received the first ever Hunger Free Quarterly box (Volume 1) and was truly amazed with the quality and the story behind every single item in the box.
Inside the box was a hand printed tea towel, spoons, pinch bowls, recipes cards with Chef Dennis Prescott’s recipe, a recipe pouch, and HungerFree Quarterly magazine with stories about food, community and impact.
I know that there are tons of subscription boxes out there, but what makes World Vision’s Hunger Free Quarterly Stand out?
- The boxes are exclusive to Canada.
- There are quality items that are practical.
- There are artisan products that are sourced from Kenya.
- $20 from each regularly priced box goes toward work to empower more than 15,000 young people to become hungerfree over the next five years through an innovative new project by World Vision and the UN’s World Food Programme in Kilifi, Kenya (Source: World Vision)
- Each box of HungerFree Quarterly is filled with artisan products that funds further impact by empowering people to rise above poverty, as well as unique recipe cards by chefs & food bloggers and inspiring stories in our exclusive Mini-Mag. (Source: World Vision)
- The boxes are quarterly rather than monthly. Subscribers can cancel their Hungerfree subscription anytime with no cancellation fee.
The Volume 1 box is still available, with the next quarterly box being shipped out in March. For more information about the HungerFere Quarterly boxes, visit https://quarterly.hungerfree.org/
Overall, with the support of World Vision donors, the money has lifted 200 million people around the world out of hunger over the last 15 years. 8.8 million people including children benefited from food distributions, helping them to fight hunger and malnutrition. Donors like you, make a difference. Let’s work together for a #hungerfree world!
*Disclosure: I had received the Vol. 1 box complimentary from World Vision. All opinions in the post are my own.
Latest posts by Mary Tang (see all)
- [Contest] Win 3 cakes from La Rocca Creative Cakes - December 14, 2017
- [Contest Closed] Win a Mastro and San Daniele prize pack - December 7, 2017
- Recap of Fall Culinary Events in Toronto and Ottawa - November 18, 2017