As promised, I will be posting some of the dishes I made for Christmas dinner. This recipe was adapted from the Jerusalem cookbook and I made some variations to make this my own.
This side dish consisting of roasted sweet potatoes with fresh figs and grilled green onions, topped with balsamic reduction is easy to make, and your guest will be fighting for it. The results look beautiful on the table.
In the cookbook, they suggest adding soft goat cheese and a red chili. Bon appetit!
- 1 large sweet potato - Peeled and cut into even large pieces (1 x 3 inches)
- 2 sprigs of green onions
- 6 fresh figs- sliced
- Olive oil and vegetable oil
- Balsamic Reduction Dressing: ¼ cup of balsamic vinegar, 2 tsp of white sugar
- Couple of fresh mint leaves
- Place the sweet potatoes on a baking dish. Season with salt and pepper on both sides and add couple drizzles of olive oil over the vegetables.
- Bake the sweet potatoes at 400 F for 30 minutes. We want the sweet potatoes soft but not mushy.
- Using a grilling pan, add vegetable oil and cook the green onions. Cut into 1 inch pieces after they are cooked.
- Assemble the salad in a bowl by adding the sweet potatoes, green onions and fresh figs.
- Make the balsamic reduction close to when you will serve the dish. Add the vinegar and the sugar in a pot, stir and let it reduce until it is a syrupy consistency. Add water if it is too thick.
- Top with fresh mint and serve
For more delicious updates, please follow me @themary_tang on Twitter and Instagram
Latest posts by Mary Tang (see all)
- [Event] Asparagus Farm Tour at Norfolk County - June 23, 2017
- [Review & Giveaway] Real Layers Gourmet Buttercream Frosting - June 12, 2017
- [Event] Inside an Ontario cattle and mushroom farm - June 8, 2017