I love oxtail and normally make a nice broth with the roasted bones. In stews, the oxtail soaks up delicious flavours and the meat is tender.
I cooked the stew several hours on low on the stove, but feel free to adjust the time if you have a slow-cooker or pressure cooker. I made this stew about 3 times already this year, and my family loves it!
For more delicious updates, please follow me @themary_tang on Twitter and Instagram
- 3 pounds of oxtail
- 2 cups of sliced okra
- 1 carrot-diced
- 3 shallots-minced
- 5 cloves of garlic-minced
- 1 can of whole tomatoes (540 ml)
- 2 tomatoes- rough dice, keep seeds
- ½ bottle of red wine
- 4 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- ½ can of a156 ml tomato paste
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- Cooking oil
- Season the oxtail with salt and pepper on both sides. Brown the oxtail in a pot with some oil. Remove the oxtail from the pot and set aside.
- Using the same pot, cook the shallots and garlic, followed by the carrots and the fresh tomatoes.
- Add in the tomato paste with the vegetables. Followed by the can of tomatoes including the juice and break the tomatoes apart with a slotted spoon.
- Add in the oxtail followed by the red wine. Make sure there's enough liquid to cover the bones.
- Add in the thyme and bay leaves.
- Cook on slow for 4-5 hours. Add in the okra 30 minutes before serving, so it doesn't disintegrate in the stew.
- Check periodically and stir the mixture to make sure the bottom doesn't stick.
- Taste the stew. Season with salt and pepper based on your taste buds.
Latest posts by Mary Tang (see all)
- [Contest] Win 3 cakes from La Rocca Creative Cakes - December 14, 2017
- [Contest Closed] Win a Mastro and San Daniele prize pack - December 7, 2017
- Recap of Fall Culinary Events in Toronto and Ottawa - November 18, 2017