In our house, we make jars of chimichurri to keep in our fridge as it is versatile with grilled meats and fish and a great way to get rid of leftover herbs.
The wings are appetizing with the lemon in the marinade with a bit of heat from the jalapenos and Thai chilis. If you don’t like coriander, you can use only parsley, although I think the coriander adds to the final dish.
When you make a big batch of the chimichurri, some of it is used as the marinade while some is reserved to top the wings. I added the addition of soy sauce to the recipe which added more flavour and colour to the wings.
I cooked the wings in the oven and finished it off on the grill, but they can be cooked on the grill only. This method is helpful when you have a large party and want to save time.
Remember the recipe is a guideline, taste the chimichurri before adding in the chicken. You may want to adjust the spiciness or the salt level.
- 1 large bunch of parsley or 3 cups chopped-include stems
- 1 small bunch of coriander or 1 cup chopped-include stems
- 5 pounds of wings with the tips removed
- 2 jalapeno peppers- diced. Kept the seeds for 1
- 4 Thai Chilis- diced. Kept the seeds for 2
- ¼ cup of red wine vinegar
- ¾ cup of lime juice
- ½ cup of lemon juice
- ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of canola oil
- 2 tsp of salt
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- Italian or Thai Basil (optional to top the wings)
- Using a food processor, chop the parsley and coriander.
- Dice the chilis.
- In a large bowl, add the chopped parsley and coriander, chilis, followed by the remaining ingredients.
- Mix, taste and adjust to your taste.
- Save 2 cups or more of the chimichurri to top the wings.
- Add the remaining chimichurri to the chicken and mix well. Store in a ziplock bag or container and refrigerate for 5 hours or overnight.
- Take the wings out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking them. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place the wings on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes. They should be cooked through.
- Finish the wings on the grill.
- Top with the reserved chimichurri sauce and fresh basil. Serve immediately.
Never miss a post. Follow me on https://www.facebook.com/maryshappybelly/