With a pressure cooker, the flavour of the stock is amplified and is super easy to use. For those who say they don’t have time to make homemade stock, get yourself a pressure cooker. In less than an hour, not hours, you can get amazing stock.
I used the Instant Pot pressure cooker for this recipe, but it can be made on the stove top in a regular pot with a longer simmering time. I find with fish stock, it doesn’t need much time to extract the flavour compared to making chicken or pork bone broth. The lemongrass gives it a subtle citrusy flavour.
I have used salmon for the fish stock, but feel free to substitute based on what is available at the fish market. Add in fish bones if they are available. When I filet a whole fish, I like to keep extra bones in the freezer for stock.
- 2 large salmon heads cut into quarters
- 2 lemongrass stalks- rough chop (optional)
- 1 cup of carrots - rough chop
- 1 cup of celery-rough chop
- 2 garlic cloves
- Handful of fresh thyme including stems
- Oil for frying the fish
- Wash the fish heads in cold water and make sure there is no blood. Pat it dry.
- In a pan, add oil and lightly sear the fish heads. This will minimize the fish meat from falling apart.
- Cut the vegetables and add to the pressure cooker.
- Next add in the fish and the thyme.
- Add water until it reaches the 3 qt in the pressure cooker (or should just cover the fish)
- In the Instant Pot, make sure the knob is on "seal". Next, press "soup", leave the pressure on "high" and manually press the time to "45 minutes".
- When the cooking time is done, turn the pressure cooker off immediately and let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes before turning the knob to "vent", and removing the lid.
- Strain the vegetables and the fish.
Never miss a post, follow me on https://www.facebook.com/Maryshappybelly/
Latest posts by Mary Tang (see all)
- [Event] Toronto Taste 2017 raises $925,000 for Second Harvest - June 26, 2017
- [Event] Asparagus Farm Tour at Norfolk County - June 23, 2017
- [Review & Giveaway] Real Layers Gourmet Buttercream Frosting - June 12, 2017