- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) is made by pressing without heat or chemicals (known as the 1st cold press) where the pressed juice is at its freshest.
- It is best to store olive oil away from heat and light which causes decay. Keep the olive oil in a cool pantry and make sure the cap is screwed on tightly after each use.
- It is best to consume the oil within 6 months to ensure freshness.
- The greatest impact on the taste is the type of olive tree, region and time of harvest. Olives harvested early in the season (late August), are under-ripe so the oils are greener, more bitter and pungent. On the other hand, late harvested olives (November/December) are over-ripe and tend to taste mild and buttery.
- EVOO is different based on the region. For example:
- Spanish olive oil is typically golden yellow with a fruity, nutty flavour.
- French olive oil is typically pale in colour and has a mild flavour.
- Greek olive oil has a strong flavour and tends to be green.
- Italian olive oil is often dark green and has an herbal aroma and a grassy flavour.
- Constituted in 1895 by founders: RE_gina and isi_DORO from which the name REDORO is derived
- Over 5 generations and is a family run business.
- Redoro 100% Italian extra-virgin olive oil harvests 100% of their olives in Italy.
- The olives are cultivated from Verona, Italy.
- Redoro uses only the first cold pressed batch of olive oil which lends to the quality. Some companies use the second or third batch creating lower quality olive oil.
- They have several EVOO products including an organic one and D.O.P (Protected Designation of Origin.) olive oil. The DOP was my favourite during the tasting.
- The olives are harvested later in the season lending to its buttery taste.
More information on http://www.redoro.it/en/
Best of all, the Redoro olive oil is coming to Canada this fall….and I am so excited they have partnered up with Costco’s Canada, with hopes to expand further to other grocery stores. I will definitely buy Redoro knowing the olive oil quality is top notch while the tastes is light yet aromatic.
Latest posts by Mary Tang (see all)
- The easiest yogurt parfait recipe and why Martin’s Apple Chips makes the perfect snack - November 15, 2017
- Inside the World Vision #Hungerfree Quarterly Subscription Boxes - November 9, 2017
- Win a pair of ELITE passes to the Gourmet Food and Wine Expo 2017 [Contest Closed] - November 7, 2017