I just got back from the beautiful Riviera Maya, Mexico. I had to make this appetizing tomato based soup with fresh lime juice to bring Mexico home!
My version of the famous Mexican tortilla soup uses ingredients easily found at the grocery store. It is appetizing and is sure to please those who love their food spicy. Rather than jalapeño peppers, I used poblano peppers for a spicy kick and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to give the soup a subtle roasted and smokey flavour.
I topped the soup with jalepeno chedder (Cracker Barrel brand), avocados, feta and toasted tortillas. If you can find Queso fresco (Mexican cheese), it would complement the soup beautifully.
*Adjust the amount of peppers in the ingredients depending on your spice preference.
2 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce-pureed
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp of ground coriander
½ onion-small dice
4 garlic cloves-minced
1 roasted poblano pepper- deseeded and pureed (roasting instructions here)
½ zucchini-medium dice
2 tsp of tomato paste
Juice of 2 limes
1 can of diced tomatoes including juice
3 L of chicken stock or vegetable stock (I used home-made chicken stock)
Salt and black pepper for seasoning
½ onion-small dice
Leftover chicken-ripped into smaller pieces
- Cut all the vegetables and set aside.
- Puree the chipotle peppers.
- Roast the poblano pepper (instructions here). Puree the roasted poblano pepper.
- Prepare ingredients for the toppings.
- In a pot, add oil and sweat the onions. Once the onions have softened, add in the garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the zucchini and cook for a few minutes. Add in the tomato paste and stir.
- Add in the diced tomatoes to the pot and simmer until the tomatoes break down. Add in the cumin and ground coriander. Taste and add in more salt if needed.
- Add in the stock and the pureed chipotle and poblano peppers. Let the soup simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Before serving, add in the juice of the limes.
- Place the tortillas in the oven to toast and crisp up. Cut into smaller pieces.
- Add in the toppings of your choice and enjoy!
Latest posts by Mary Tang (see all)
- [Event] Toronto Taste 2017 raises $925,000 for Second Harvest - June 26, 2017
- [Event] Asparagus Farm Tour at Norfolk County - June 23, 2017
- [Review & Giveaway] Real Layers Gourmet Buttercream Frosting - June 12, 2017