This year, I told myself that I will try to make a new recipe each month from the cookbooks I have. As I looked through my signed Molto Italiano cookbook from Mario Batali (I met him at the Delicious Food Show in Toronto in 2014), making an easy antipasto dish hit my eye.
I love the marinated vegetable dish that are served at Italian restaurants and wanted to make this at home. This is an adaptation of the recipe and the results are appetizing. The vegetables go well with a charcuterie board, an appetizer or a side dish.
- 1 large eggplant - cut into ½ inch slices
- 2 medium zucchini (about 1½ pounds total)-cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 red pepper- quartered
- 3 tsp of course sea salt
- 8 white mushrooms with stems removed
- Olive oil for roasting the veggies
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil plus more for brushing the vegetables
- ½ cup of white wine vinegar
- 3 cloves of garlic-minced
- ½ cup of a mix of black and green olives
- 5 anchovy fillets. rinsed and chopped
- 2 tbsp of finely chopped oregano
- Place the vegetables except for the mushrooms on a baking sheet. Add salt on both sides and drizzle the olive oil all over the veggies. Roast the vegetables at 375 degrees F for about 40 minutes. Alternatively is to grill them.
- In a small bowl, combined the ingredients for the dressing and mix well. Taste it and adjust as needed (more vinegar, salt or oil). Pour the mixture over the roasted vegetables and add the mushrooms.
- When cooled, put the vegetables in the fridge to marinate overnight (Mario Batali's recipe mentioned to leave the vegetables out on the counter to marinade overnight)
- Take them out several hours before serving and serve the vegetables at room temperature.
I have made similar variations of this dish combining white wine and red wine vinegar, or adding basil and oregano. I have used up to 6 garlic cloves for an extra garlic kick.
This is now a staple dish I make to family parties and it may be yours once you try it out.
For more delicious updates, follow me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Maryshappybelly/
Latest posts by Mary Tang (see all)
- [Recipe] Chinese pork bone soup with lotus root - August 15, 2017
- [Recipe] Chinese steamed tofu with shrimp and scallops - August 11, 2017
- [Event] The Big Feastival Comes to Canada on August 18-20th, 2017! - August 4, 2017