I am a kohlrabi fan. Growing up, our family added raw slices to fish sauce that is eaten with vermicelli, as well as tomato soups and stir frys. The flesh has white marbling and the taste is like a mild turnip.
This recipe is adapted from my mom’s green papaya salad, where the slaw should be made one to 2 days in advance soaked in the light pickling liquid. The dill is optional but I find it gives the dressing another dimension. I find it is best that the liquid should be light and not too acidic, but do taste the liquid and adjust to your liking.
It is best to use a mandolin to get the thin slices. Also, green papaya, jicama or daikon are great substitutes for the kohlrabi.
- 3 cups of carrots- 2-3 mm slices
- 2 cups of kohlrabi-2-3 mm slices
- ⅓ cup or more of salt to soften the vegetables
- 7 cups of water
- ¾ cup of sugar
- ¾ cup of fish sauce
- 1 cup of white vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves-minced
- ⅓ cup of chopped dill
- 2-3 Thai chili slices (optional)
- Handful of green onions and coriander
- Peel the skin for the carrots, and cut the hard skin from the kohlrabi.
- Use the mandolin to thinly cut the carrots and kohlrabi. Once finished, add it to a colander, add the salt and massage it for about 1 minute.
- Let it sit in the colander for about 20 minutes. Put a dish under the colander for the juice to drip. This process helps to soften the carrots and kohlrabi.
- After 20 minutes, rinse the vegetables under the sink in cold water to remove the salt. Next squeeze as much water out as possible.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients in the dressing and make sure the sugar is fully dissolved. Taste it and adjust. Add the Thai chilies if you have them.
- Add the carrots and kohlrabi to the dressing. Before serving, remove the carrots and kohlrabi from the dressing and top with green onions and coriander.
Never miss a post, follow me at https://www.facebook.com/Maryshappybelly/
Latest posts by Mary Tang (see all)
- The easiest yogurt parfait recipe and why Martin’s Apple Chips makes the perfect snack - November 15, 2017
- Inside the World Vision #Hungerfree Quarterly Subscription Boxes - November 9, 2017
- Win a pair of ELITE passes to the Gourmet Food and Wine Expo 2017 [Contest Closed] - November 7, 2017