This salad was adapted from the Jerusalum Cookbook . The salad is a showstopper with key ingredients including walnuts, pomegranates and beets, which are typically seen in Georgian Cuisine, which is influenced by Russian, Persian and Turkish cultures.
The cookbook does not ask readers to grill the leeks or toast the walnuts, but I did. The grilled veggies add more flavour to the final dish. I did not have peanut oil handy, but do add 1/2 tsp if you do. I used walnut oil and made my own tamarind water. I bought the tamarind at a local Chinese grocery store.
Make sure to lightly toss the salad before serving to minimize the colour of the beets bleeding into the leeks.
- 5 medium beets - Cut into slices after they are roasted and peeled
- 2 medium leeks- cut into 4 inch segments
- 1½ cups of arugula
- ¼ cup of pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup of feta cheese
- 1 cup of walnuts
- Vegetable oil
- Handful of mint- rough chop
- 4 cloves of garlic, ¼ tsp of chili flakes, ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar, tamarind water (I made my own), 1 tsp of walnut oil, 1 tsp of salt
- Wrap the beets individually in tin foil and roast them for 1 hour at 400 degrees F.
- Once cooled, peel the beets and slice them ½ inch thick.
- Place the leeks in a pan of salted water, boil and simmer until they are just cooked. When cooled, put the leeks on a grill and quickly cook them for some colour.
- Toast the walnuts in a pan with some oil and sprinkle with salt.
- For the tamarind water, I mixed 1 tbsp of tamarind with 2 tsp of hot water. I let it sit for 20 minutes and then poured the water through a small fine mesh strainer before using it in the dressing. I would use lemon if you cannot find or make tamarind water.
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients of the dressing together and mix well.
- To assemble the salad, carefully add the ingredients in layers. I topped the salad with the walnuts, pomegranate seeds, feta and mint.
- Add the dressing and lightly toss.
Latest posts by Mary Tang (see all)
- [Event] Toronto Taste 2017 raises $925,000 for Second Harvest - June 26, 2017
- [Event] Asparagus Farm Tour at Norfolk County - June 23, 2017
- [Review & Giveaway] Real Layers Gourmet Buttercream Frosting - June 12, 2017