Address: 1310 Don Mills Rd., Unit 1, Toronto ON
When I attended: December 2014, 8 people, dinner
Rating: $$, 5
I visited Gonoe Sushi over 7 years ago and I can’t believe it had taken me this long to return. The narrow restaurant embraces the traditional Japanese restaurant interior with private booths and a few large tables.
What led us here was a search for a non all-you-can-eat Japanese uptown Toronto for a family birthday celebration. Our usual go-to restaurant is “Gal’s Sushi” but the restaurant had been rammed during our last few visits and we wanted a quieter space for the kids. Gonoe provided a much calmer atmosphere and more attentive service than Gal’s. The restaurant even gave us edamame and salmon belly on-the-house.
Our group ordered a combination of appetizers, bento boxes, rolls and sashimi boats and was totally impressed with the quality of the fish and presentation. There’s no doubt that I will return and will re-order our favourite dishes of the evening including:
1. Large sushimi boat (75 pieces) $84.95 split between 4 people. The price is a steal for the amount of fish and the variety.
2. The rolls, including spider roll with soft shell crab ($9.95) and flying dragon roll ($12.95) with shrimp tempura, crab and spicy sauce wrapped in unagi and avocado.
3. The beef teriyaki dinner ($16.95). I enjoyed that the beef was not smothered in the artificially sweet sauce. The presentation was compact and pleasant.
Gonoe hit the mark in providing a family friendly atmosphere, attentive service and amazing food reasonably priced. This may be our new family favourite for family birthday celebrations.
Latest posts by Mary Tang (see all)
- [Contest] Win 3 cakes from La Rocca Creative Cakes - December 14, 2017
- [Contest Closed] Win a Mastro and San Daniele prize pack - December 7, 2017
- Recap of Fall Culinary Events in Toronto and Ottawa - November 18, 2017